What is an Open Access Network?
An Open Access Network is a business model where a network owner provides and operates the physical infrastructure of a broadband network which independent service providers then use to offer services to consumers. It is, essentially, a high-performance digital road system. Just as a single unified road system is shared by all the cars and trucks using the road, an open access network shares transport in the same way. As in the figure below, the network owner/operator only sells wholesale access to service providers who then offer any combination of retail services (e.g. internet, video, voice etc.). to consumers.
A key benefit of publicly owned Open Access Networks are that they guarantee real broadband choice for subscribers with high-quality competitively priced services.
There are complexities involved in managing an open access network versus a traditional network. OAN providers must ensure they have the right operational support systems unique to broadband that can help deliver the best customer experience possible. OAN operators need to:
- Track every single subscriber including their physical address as well as their technical address
- Know which service providers are providing what services
- Know what services each subscriber is buying from which service provider
- Maintain data base integrity/billing consistency as customers change providers, add and/or drop services or moves from one home to another
HOW DOES ETI HELP OPEN ACCESS NETWORK PROVIDERS?
ETI’s service management platform, Dynamics 365 for Telecommunications, removes these complexities and simplifies the process of device and application integration, subscriber and service activation/deactivation, and consolidates all the data – providing a single point of control, enabling OAN operators to provide high speed, reliable broadband at competitive rates to their customer owners.
Dynamics 365 for Telecommunications:
- Built on TM Forum, Open API Standards to support interoperability between Network Operators and partners.
- Multi-tenant Platform enables Network Operators to provide retail service providers (RSP) customized capabilities to support their business while managing RSPs billing and service issues within a single system.
- End-to-End Service Lifecycle Management – one system to support all aspects of your business, your partners business and your subscriber’s customer experience
- World Class Security & Scalability – Built on Microsoft Dynamics 365 platform and running in Azure to provide unmatched piece of mind and advance capabilities.
- Flow Through Provisioning – Only OAN system with built-in provisioning and unified device management. Enabling remote management of network and CPE devices across your entire team: Customer Service, Field Service, NOC.
- Future Proofed – Agnostic integration engine to 100s of devices prevents vendor lock-in, ability to bridge legacy and Next Gen network devices and to grow as you grow.